Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What's my Most Important?

I have been elbow deep in talking about game design for the last several months.  I have literally written five high level design documents(plans for games) and spent hours(many, many hours) editing them and Rachel, my wife, has done a wonderful job of not letting it get to her.  She has asked me nicely on occasion to talk about something other than games for a while, but she lets me play out my rants and my thought sessions in silent understanding.

The thing is, she likes games.  I thank God that she likes games.  If she didn't, life would be quite difficult right now.  I really do spend a lot of time talking about the minutia of games and game design and balance and blah, blah, blah.  It has to be getting to her...

We went out to dinner the other night and I straight up apologized for my recent preoccupation.  Even if I were getting paid to make games or play games, I shouldn't talk about it as much as I do now.  I explained that I don't want to continue highlighting the differences between us because it makes each of us feel alone.  I went on to make defenses, but she had one line, that she didn't say in any kind of argumentative tone or back lashing rudeness.


"You talk about games like our parents say we should talk about Christ"

That line was huge.

"Took my breath away" huge.

I spent some time in prayer this morning and will continue as I work through this.  If I can talk about games like this, why can't I talk about the saving grace that I have received from the father of the universe through his Son's death.

My life reflects my most important.  My heart is in sin.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are saying that you should increase your communication about Christ and not reduce your love for other things... but just in case-

    When I hear this it is usually a sideways comment to stop talking about what we love. But, we are allowed to love- even commanded to do so. Imagine doting on your wife and someone saying - "You talk about your wife the way we should talk about Christ." I think the answer should be "yeah- I should talk about Christ this way!" Not the reverse, "yeah- I should stop talking about my wife!"

    I think there are simple answers to why it is harder to talk about religion. Ex. It can be high intensity and time consuming, it might not be conveying information but rather just starting a debate, etc. I am super passionate about philosophy but I don't get to talk about it as much as other things because I take the conversation and people into account. I think we simply do the same with theology.

    ReplyDelete