Thursday, March 10, 2011

Beautiful Agony

Rachel and I had an amazing fight. We both hurt each other quite badly. She questioned my abilities as a leader; I noted her inability to commit. Tears were shed. There wasn't a whole lot of yelling, but the tense atmosphere was more than enough to show how much was coming to light in this particular fight.

It is fights like these that remind me of how much I love Rachel. She does her best to hold me to God's standards and I can't help but thank her for it. In spite of my feelings and pride being bruised, I love the accountability.

Towards the end, we both deemed it necessary to be better people, better spouses, and better followers of Christ. God's use of my wife to build me up in times of need and to tear me down in humility is probably the greatest aspect of marriage you never expect.

As we move forward, I hope God continues to show me how to lead as I should. I hate fighting, but if this is the result, this loving, tender reminder that we can do no better than to imitate our savior, I'm in... all day, everyday, I'll do it. Though, I would prefer to not have to fight every time... maybe some more gentle reminders... like book reading... or song singing... morning breath kisses...

No comments:

Post a Comment