Friday, March 11, 2011

God Be Smarter Than I Is

I took 3.5 hours today and gave them to silent meditation on scripture and the state of my soul in God's eyes. Given the fight Rachel and I just had and the resulting conversations, I assumed that my extended prayer/silence time would center around the idea of gender roles, leadership, Godly husbandship and patience. Turns out that God had other plans. I followed a series of scriptures given to me by my small group leader and read a chapter in "Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands"(author is from Scranton, PA, awesome) and spent the rest of the time journaling and in meditative silence.

Almost every scripture I read, the chapter I read, and the nagging of my heart pointed to an entirely different focus than I expected. I learned more about following Christ, my servanthood and God's sovereignty than anything close to being a leader. To be fair, the irony is not lost on me. My focus to be a good leader should have been on becoming a better servant. My efforts to be a better husband should have led me to being a better Christian. Then again, hindsight is 20/20. God is good in His revelation and in His timing. I hope to make this practice of several hours of silence, meditation, and journaling a more regular instance.

God is greater than I'll ever be. His plans are far superior to anything I can imagine. The story of His grace, forgiveness, love, and patience throughout history trumps every plot ever conceived by mankind. The beauty of all of these facts is that as a follow of Christ, I can take comfort in them. I don't have to be frightened or worried or stressed because if God is for me, who can stand against me? If He takes care of the birds of the air and the flowers of the field, how much more will He care for me? In the end of days, God will call all unto judgment. He is my rock; He is my fortress. When I can't, He can. Praise be to God for His sovereignty, even when things don't go my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment