Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Magnitude of $1,600

Having just replaced my well pump for the fashionable price of $1,600, I appreciate how much it really is. With $1,600 I could have bought a sizable above ground swimming pool. The money could have been put towards the principle of my mortgage thus reducing the amount of interest I pay by $300 a year. I could have had my master and guest bathrooms tiled and finished. I could have bought 3 iPhone 4's, 300 $5 Boxes from Taco Bell, 7 XBox 360's, or even a second honeymoon.

These things would have all enriched my life in one way or another. Through progressing my house, enriching my marriage, increasing my ability to communicate, or just sustaining my body they would have helped me in some way, though some more than others. Several piloting lessons, near innumerable hours of entertainment, or a solid cruise were all possibilities. Those plans were not to be, however, because all of these things share something. All of these possible uses for $1600 are frivolous when compared to the need for running water. At the end of the day, I'm always going to spend the $1,600 on the very thing that separates me from the third world...

No comments:

Post a Comment